Question. What is Karithopita (Karidopita)?
Answer. Karidopita is a very flavorful and moist walnut cake flavored with spices and bathed in sweet syrup. It’s best to make this cake one day before, allowing for all the ingredients to blend together. It keeps well covered and at room temperature.
Tips, tricks and info on how to make Karithhopita
- Mix water, sugar and lemon juice into a pot. Bring to a light boil and continue simmering for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Sprinkle some flour onto the oiled pan.
- Bring the egg whites into a soft peak and set aside.
- Mix the egg yolks, oil and sugar for a few minutes and pour into a larger bowl.
- Add the egg whites in the egg yolk mixture.
- Fold in the egg whites with the egg yolk mixture.
- Add the milk and walnuts.
- Add all the spices.
- Add the 3 types of flours.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake at 350 F at bottom rack for about 40-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Once done, pour the cold syrup onto the hot cake, as shown.
- For best taste, cover cake with plastic wrap and leave out over night. This will allow the spices and the syrup to blend together.
NOTE: If this Greek recipe is of interest to you, you may watch our video with step by step instructions and precise ingredient amounts. Karithopita video