Question. What is Kreas kokinisto?
Answer. Kreas kokinisto, is meat in tomato sauce.
Tips and tricks on how to make kreas kokinisto
Always pay attention to the drippings, when sautéing the meat. Make sure they do not burn. Adjust the heat continuously in order to maintain a medium sizzle. This sauce can be poured over french fries, to be used as a Greek-style poutine sauce or simply as a sauce for spaghetti or french fries.
Poutine is a French-Canadian food that originated from Quebec, which is simply french fries with cheese and gravy on top. The cheese used on top is white-colored cheddar cheese curds, but you may use any combination of cheeses, preferably the ones that will melt once the poutine is heated in the oven.
- Blot dry the meat using paper towels, as shown next.
- Season both sides of the meat.
- Remove any excess fat (optional).
- Cut meat into equal-size smaller pieces.
- Turn heat to medium-high and allow a few minutes for the pot to heat up.
- At the same time, prepare the spices and set aside.
- Once the pot is hot, add the butter.
- Immediately add the meat.
- Once one side develops a good crust, turn meat to other side.
- When meat has cooked on both sides remove and set aside.
- Repeat the same procedure for the rest of the meat.
- If needed, add more butter in order to sauté the onions.
- Sauté the onions for 2-3 minutes or until transluscent.
- Add the slivered garlic and sauté for one more minute.
- Add the spices and sauté for one more minute.
- Next we will add the flour and the liquor.
- After about 1 minute, add some beef broth a bit at a time, while mixing continuously to dissolve any lumps.
- Add the tomato paste and sauté for about 1 minute more.
- Add some more beef broth and continue mixing.
- Add remaining beef broth and spices.
- Add also the juices from the satéed meats back into the pot.
- Raise temperature to medium to bring to a boil.
- Mix the sugar with the tomato sauce and set aside for now.
- Boiling began after about 30 minutes. Lower the heat to low and allow to slow simmer.
- After 70 minutes of simmering place cover on.
- The sauce isn't thick enough, so we will be adding additional flour to further thicken the sauce to a perfect consistency. Mix the flour with the tomato/sugar mixture and add into the sauce.
- Place cover on and continue simmering.
- Remove the spices at this point.
- At this point, add lemon juice and continue simmering for another 15 minutes.
- With perfect thickness, the sauce should coat the spoon as shown.
NOTE: If this Greek recipe is of interest to you, you may watch our video with step by step instructions and precise ingredient amounts. Kreas kokinisto video